Business Domain Registration - Tips for Picking the Ideal Domain Name
Registering your business domain name is one the first steps to a successful website. Here are some tips we recommend you consider when picking your domain name.
Selecting a domain name is an important step in establishing your business on the web. Although registering a domain can be a quick and easy process, choosing the right domain name can often be a challenge.
A domain name is part of your digital real estate, the address that people type into their browser to visit your website.
There are three types of domains:
- Generic Top-Level Domains (gTLD), offer a variety of options for organizations and businesses. Some of the most common ones include:
- .com for companies
- .net for internet or related service providers
- .org for nonprofit organizations
- .info for information services
- .biz for business
- Sponsored Top-Level Domains (sTLD), offer a variety of options for businesses, government, and other groups. The most common ones include:
- .gov for government agencies
- .edu for colleges and universities
- .mil for the military
- Country Code Top-Level Domains(ccTLD), also called country code domains, are two-letter abbreviations of countries and territories. For example:
- .us – USA
- .uk – United Kingdom
- .ca – Canada
Whichever type of domain you choose, there are a few things you should consider before registering. Follow these tips below to help you pick the perfect domain name and avoid potential difficulties.
- Register a domain name that's short and consistent with your brand.
- If your domain name is easy to remember and type, your customers are more likely to visit your website frequently. Avoid things such as double letters, numbers, and hyphens, unless it's part of your brand.
- Avoid trademarks or similar domain names.
- Avoid any trademarked terms and names. Do your research before you select the name you prefer to have. This can save you from unnecessary legal headaches in the future.
- Protect your brand by registering different extensions.
- When you are registering a website domain name, it's important to obtain all the most popular extensions for your chosen domain name (example: .com .ca .info), as well as misspelled versions of your domain name. This will help prevent competitors from registering other versions and leads your customers to your website, even if they mistype it.
- Try to get a .com if it's available.
- Most search engine optimization (SEO) professionals strongly recommend you start with a .com if it’s available. It is the most common domain extension used by businesses and search engines recognize it as such.
- Lock in your domain name once you have decided on what you would like to use.
- Domains are relatively inexpensive and can be acquired by someone else quicker than you realize. If you are interested in a domain, we suggest purchasing it as soon as possible.
- Pick a trustworthy registrar.
- Pick a reputable company to register your domain name. You don’t want to lose your domain or have website accessibility issues. An inaccessible website can cause harm to your SEO and your brand’s reputation.
Domain Registration with AT&T Website Solutions
At AT&T Website Solutions we make it easy and simple for you to purchase your domain name. Your domain name could have a significant impact on the success and potential of your website. Try our integrated search tool and search for available domains today!